Thursday, November 20, 2008

Our interesting Universe

I have become fascinated with this website www.ted.com! There are many videos in where people talk about actual issues and many ideas of their own. Maybe that's why the web site's slogan is "Ideas Worth Spreading. Well I have always been interested on space (everyone is interested about space), and I found Bill Cosby programs joyful. But in this web page, George Tood lets us know how diminutive humans are relating to the capacious universe. My classmate John Martinez once said that humanity should take advantage of the technology we have to make more progressions in space. After watching this, I must say that progressions have been made, but maybe we don't lack of passion but of technology, there are billions of galaxies around us, and billions and billions of years away from home. In fact, as Mr. Tood said, the photos ever taken of the galaxies are really photos of galaxies billions of years ago. So how can we progress if we haven't found a way to travel on that time machine that is the universe? In the pictures that Tood showed, there are galaxies that look like ours billions of years ago, so, in your opinion, could there be any chance of more civilizations out there with better capacities than ours? Give your opinion of this video.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

I've always been interested in space and the idea of what's out there that we still haven't found a way to explore. I know that we haven't gone any further into space certainly due to lack of technology to help us survive in space, but we can't really say that technology in the past century hasn't grown. In many aspects, however, I believe that we should solve our own problems on Earth (ex: Global Warming) before we can focus on exploring other planets and worrying out life somewhere else.
To answer your question, I believe there is a chance of more civilizations out there. I simply think that, even though there isn't any evidence of it, it would be an extreme waste of space for a mere civilization like our own.